Willie's controller build

Post Number:#1 Post Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 am
Topics: 2
Solve rating: 0
National Flag:
United States of America
Hello,

my name is Willie McDaries, I'm known on most of the U.S.of A. reefing forums as Redtop03, several of those forums I kept seeing this Fernando Garcia guy keep posting in them, trying to help other aquarium controller DIYers all around the world, once seeing that he started his own forum dedicated to the Arduino controller and specifically, his Ferduino controller, I knew I wanted to be a part of it :)

I've been using a Jarduino for a few years now with only minor issues and love it but I decided it was time to advance my controller with a few extra features, mostly interested in the Jebao wave pump control, and the Auto Top Off features in a few other controller builds, but after studying Fernando's code for several months trying to figure out how to use a copy of his wave controller in my Jarduino controller with no success

I finally just gave up, the language barrier proved to be far too much of an obstacle for me to accomplish anything, but with all the looking and language translating, and a few months of time, I suddenly realized that, other than the dosing system and the auto water change system, both or which, I really don't need, but I found that the Ferduino was almost what I was looking for, there's a lot to it that I may never use or may never figure out how to use it but it is about as feature packed as any reefer could hope to find in a controller....

if you need a controller to perform a specific task, the Ferduino most likely has that feature built in, Fernando went above and beyond to include every possible option in his controller that any reefer could hope to have, this thing is awesome and I decided to give it a shot at building one of my very own, so here is my version of what I hope will be the perfect reef controller for me :)

Post Number:#2 Post Sat May 10, 2014 9:47 pm
Topics: 38
Solve rating: 233
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

Welcome Willie!

Your relay box is very cool!

Where you bought?

You will put a frame on TFT?

Best regards.
Post your doubts on forum because it can help another user too. Just PM me for support if it's absolutely necessary.

Post Number:#3 Post Sun May 11, 2014 12:42 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
thank you Fernando, I could not have done any of this without your help setting everything up, my networking skills are very bad :D

the power panel came from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057RL6DQ/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added the relay pack, which came from here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8O9KHA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this power panel is not the best option for this purpose but I made it work, there is a lot that has to be changed inside it to make room for the relay board :)

the LCD screen will eventually have a trim piece to hid the circuitry terminals but for now, it will stay as it is :) the whole controller may eventually be removed for the project box and installed in my canopy, I really just wanted to hold everything together until I could decide on a design for my tank canopy

and the project box I used came from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMY5FE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

everything used in my build came either from Amazon or Ebay, none of these pieces are very expensive and all are readily available at either web site

-------------------------------- Last edited Sun May 11, 2014 11:04 am --------------------------------

with the addition of web control, the Ferduino has taken a step farther into the future :)

here's a few screen shots of the web interface for this controller :)

this is just a few screen shots, there's plenty more, but thought I'd share a little of what I see here on my desk top :)

Post Number:#4 Post Mon May 12, 2014 6:40 pm
Topics: 1
National Flag:
Italy

Post Number:#5 Post Tue May 13, 2014 10:27 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
Willie congratulations nice project!!

thank you,

this is an awesome controller, I have my temperature sensors all connected now and it's running my heatsink fans as well as my lights and my WP10 pumps..it's working extremely well and the web interface is really nice, I'm still getting used to the Celsius temperature scale instead of Fahrenheit but I will learn to love that as well :)

Post Number:#6 Post Wed May 14, 2014 3:51 pm
Topics: 4
National Flag:
Italy

Post Number:#7 Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:06 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
Hi Willie,

nice build! I love it!!

hello Simone, thank you,

it still needs some work but it has performed flawlessly for a few days now, I have all my temperature sensors working now and I worked on it all night last night but I converted the temperature to display Fahrenheit instead of Celsius...much easier for me to understand now, I get confused with Celsius :D

Post Number:#8 Post Thu May 15, 2014 5:16 am
National Flag:
Italy
I think we should add an option to select Celsius or Farenheit. I am talking about the Web Control. Surely it will be very useful for our american friends.

Post Number:#9 Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
I think we should add an option to select Celsius or Farenheit. I am talking about the Web Control. Surely it will be very useful for our american friends.

I like the way you think :)

Post Number:#10 Post Sun May 25, 2014 12:31 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
I ordered a 7 inch TFT/LCD yesterday and I'm gonna try to up-scale the Ferduino code to fit it, I know it's gonna be a lot of work but I want to try it anyway LOL

I have the UTFT library already set up and ready and the IDE is compiling with both a 5 inch and 7 inch screens, since both of those screens are 480 x 800 resolution, if I can up-scale the code, it should work on either screen or any other screen with the 480 x 800 resolution....

I'm just waiting on the screen now and can't wait to get started messing stuff up :)

Post Number:#11 Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:38 pm
National Flag:
France

Post Number:#12 Post Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
Willie - any suggestions on the conversion of the temperature from C to F? I know you were able to get that done - and curious how you accomplished this.

Post Number:#13 Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:43 am
National Flag:
United States of America
Willie - any suggestions on the conversion of the temperature from C to F? I know you were able to get that done - and curious how you accomplished this.

you can change this and it will display the Fahrenheit numbers but the C will still need to be changed to F, plus the fan temp. page and water temp. page will still have the Celsius numbers for the min/max settings, those will need to be changed too

In the tab "parametros" find.

tempC = temperatura_agua_temp / 12;
    tempH = temperatura_dissipador_temp / 12;
    tempA = temperatura_ambiente_temp / 12;

Add this after:

tempC = (tempC * 1.8) + 32.05;
    tempH = (tempH * 1.8) + 32.05;
    tempA = (tempA * 1.8) + 32.05;

In the tab "setup" find.

tempC = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_agua));  // Lê a temperatura da água
  tempH = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_dissipador)); // Lê a temperatura do dissipador.
  tempA = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_ambiente)); // Lê a temperatura do ambiente.

Add this after:

In the tab "processymytouch" find.

tempC = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_agua));  // Lê a temperatura da água
          tempH = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_dissipador)); // Lê a temperatura do dissipador.
          tempA = (sensors.getTempC(sensor_ambiente)); // Lê a temperatura do ambiente.

Add this after:

In the tab "L_Menus" find.

temperatura = sensors.getTempC(tempDeviceAddress);

Add after:

temperatura = (temperatura * 1.8) + 32.05;

Post Number:#14 Post Sat May 31, 2014 9:43 am
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

Willie, What's the reason to you add 0.05 to 32?

This give a value exact:

tempC = (tempC * 1.8) + 32;

Best regards.
Post your doubts on forum because it can help another user too. Just PM me for support if it's absolutely necessary.

Post Number:#15 Post Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 am
National Flag:
United States of America
Hi!

This give a value exact:

Best regards.

it was in the Jarduino like that, I assumed it was a more precise calculation, I couldn't tell a difference either way :)

Post Number:#16 Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:03 am
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

This give a value exact:

Best regards.

it was in the Jarduino like that, I assumed it was a more precise calculation, I couldn't tell a difference either way :)

But I not told it for you by email.

The difference é small but exist.

To converter 25.5 by example the calculation is:

x - 32 = ((25.5 - 0) * (212 - 32)) / 100

x = 45,90 + 32

x = 77.90 °F

Using your formula.

X = (25.5 * 1.8) + 32.05

x = 77.95 °F

:D

Post Number:#17 Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:14 am
National Flag:
United States of America
Hi!

This give a value exact:

Best regards.

But I not told it for you by email.

The difference é small but exist.

To converter 25.5 by example the calculation is:

x - 32 = ((25.5 - 0) * (212 - 32)) / 100

x = 45,90 + 32

x = 77.90 °F

Using your formula.

X = (25.5 * 1.8) + 32.05

x = 77.95 °F

:D

I couldn't tell a difference in my controller using just the 32 or the 32.05 so I knew it was minimal, I don't know why Jamie used it in the Jarduino but I tried it to see and just never did change it back :)

-------------------------------- Last edited May 31st, 2014, 8:17 am --------------------------------

for you guys who may not be following my build on RC, here's a few pics of my Ferduino on a 7 inch screen :)

Post Number:#18 Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 am
National Flag:
Brazil

Jarduino use resolution of 9 bit's and Ferduino use of 10 bit's.

See the datasheet of the sensor:

DS18B20

The core functionality of the DS18B20 is its direct -to-digital temperature sensor.
The resolution of the temperature sensor is user-configurable to 9, 10, 11, or 12 bits, corresponding to increments of 0.5°C, 0.25°C, 0.125°C, and 0.0625°C, respectively.

Moreover Ferduino use an average of 12 values.

High precision. :D

Post Number:#19 Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:48 am
National Flag:
Italy

Post Number:#20 Post Sat May 31, 2014 12:54 pm
National Flag:
United States of America
^:)^ ^:)^ nice job is very difficult? change from 3.2 to 7? there a tutorial?

the home screen isn't too hard, but after looking at the rest of the code, I don't know is I will ever be able to change it, Fernando had to help me with the home screen, I changed too much stuff and had the LED bar graph kinda goofed up, Fernando found my issues and corrected me :)

going from 400 x 240 to 800 x 480 was just a matter of doubling the numerical coordinate values, simple as that, but knowing what were coordinates and what wasn't was my problem :)

-------------------------------- Last edited May 31st, 2014, 11:01 am --------------------------------

Jarduino use resolution of 9 bit's and Ferduino use of 10 bit's.

See the datasheet of the sensor:

DS18B20

The core functionality of the DS18B20 is its direct -to-digital temperature sensor.
The resolution of the temperature sensor is user-configurable to 9, 10, 11, or 12 bits, corresponding to increments of 0.5°C, 0.25°C, 0.125°C, and 0.0625°C, respectively.

Moreover Ferduino use an average of 12 values.

High precision. :D

I was just playing with the numbers to see what happened, I'm still trying to figure this stuff out :) I really don't understand all the data on the temp probes but I know they are extremely accurate....

I never could figure out why my Chauvet controller was showing me a 2 degree difference from the Ferduino or my Neptune AC Jr. but I went in the code and subtracted the 2 degree difference so it displays the same temp as my other 2 now :)

Next

Return to Show your controller