Ferduino shut down  [SOLVED]

Post Number:#1 Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 pm
Topics: 13
Solve rating: 0
National Flag:
Italy
Hi guys,

I have a serious issue to solve. during the last 4 months i spent my night in preparing this new aquarium, Ferduino driven obviously. Now almost everything is ready.
I'm performing some dry runs. Ferduino is powered on since a couple of days, without loads obviously (no water).
Probably you remember that i had problems with overheating. Now i have a fan under the board in the area of the regulator, another fan over the regulator and e third fan on the cabinet where ferduino is placed. so i hope that I will not have overheating troubles.

unfortunately during these days sometimes, without a specific event, Ferduino stops. It seems different from overheating because the TFT does't move from white to black and again to white. I saw two cases: black screen and restart after almost a minute or the appearance of the message "please insert an SD card" and restart after a couple of minutes.
All the relays obviously shut down.
this is not acceptable during normal functioning of the tank!
My feeling is that seems a reset of the system.
Another clues: it is not regular. It has been powered on for 15 hrs without issues, but this evening it stopped 3 times in 2 hrs.

What do you think? is overheating? or there are other situation in which the system goes in a sort of stopped mode and restart?

I hope that my explanation is clear.
thank you so much.

Post Number:#2 Post Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm
Topics: 38
Solve rating: 233
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

I don't think it's overheating because the voltage drops very fast with bad cooling.

It can be bad contact in your power cable or software reset.

The watchdog is enabled?

When the communication with stamps fails the controller can restart. Make sure that responses are disabled to all stamps.

Try make tests with all stamps disabled if the problem persists.

Also you can use an Arduino to monitor the voltage on 5V circuit of your controller to see if it drops after a while.

Best regards.
Post your doubts on forum because it can help another user too. Just PM me for support if it's absolutely necessary.

Post Number:#3 Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 am
National Flag:
Italy
I reviewed the whole project.
I removed the 12v relays board.
I'm using 3 boards powered by 5V with 6 optoisolated relays each.
I reviewed the witing for the TFT and now I'm using a flat cable with proper connector.
So i'm powering the Ferduino board with 7.5 v and the relays boards woth separate 5 v power.
I'll prepare also separate power supply for the dosing pumps when needed.
Now the system looks more robust and safe. I found some serious mistakes (made by me) in the code and
my issues were related to the fact that the system tried to enter into multiple if conditions with different
relays status.I learned a lot.
Now I'm in troubles with temperature sensors and probe. I'll open another topic for a matter of clarity.
thank you all.

Post Number:#4 Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

Is not need install a power supply to each voltage.

You can buy a power supply 12V with good current rate (maybe an ATX) and install step downs to adjust the voltage to each value needed.

Recently I found a module called LC filter to be used the prevent issues with electric noise and it seems a good thing to have on controller.

I have a board where the ethernet circuit doesn't work fine due electric noise so I bought 3 LC filters and I'm waiting for it to make tests.

So I could recommend you to buy it too.

Here the product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/262410578128

Best regards.
Post your doubts on forum because it can help another user too. Just PM me for support if it's absolutely necessary.

Post Number:#5 Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am
National Flag:
Brazil

Hi!

What's the solution for this problem?

Best regards.

Post Number:#6 Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 pm
National Flag:
Italy
Hi!
As I said...my fault. I reviewed a lot the part related to partial water chances...and i Made mistakes. The lesson learned is that Arduino crashes everytime that it goes into loops in which it is supposed to be in two different if conditions with different variables states. So if ferduino or arduino crash unexpectly and it seems that the re were a voltage drop or a physical error...check at first your code...mainly if cases.

Return to Main board